Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Utopia Project: The Things We Do At Night

             Utopia could be defined as an ideally perfect state. That, I believe, could never be possible. You could get close to utopia, but perfection is never attainable. Which is why I decided to photograph one of the many “fucked up” nights my friends and I have in Oberlin. Through drugs, alcohol, and sometimes, frolicking in the rain, many try to achieve a sense of utopia. Sometimes we believe that that we do attain utopia. Sometimes, for many of us, being with our friends, smoking the “ganja”, sex, drugs, etc, is utopia. But the truth is, no matter how happy we are, we are not in utopia, because the definition of utopia is perfection. Also, I find interesting that the things we do at night are usually related to man made things. We party in man-made structures, we consume man made drinks, etc. Note: the “cocaine” is actually just crystal light.